- Up to 200 teachers from NGSS-implementing public elementary schools will be selected to participate in the ESCAPE Online Program.
- Approximately 150 teachers from the same schools will be selected to participate in the control group. ‘Control’ group teachers only administer online assessments to students, complete a short survey, and provide student rosters.
The Following requirements apply to participating districts, schools, and teachers. Please note that UCI ESCAPE has already received approval for data collection from LAUSD's CERR and the UCI IRB board. The Informed Consent Form located at the bottom of this page is also IRB and CERR approved.
District/School-Level Requirements for ESCAPE Participation
The NSF Grant for the ESCAPE program is limited so recruitment of teachers will happen at the district and school level. School-level requirements for participation are:
- Title 1 status
- 1 year of participation
- Share student assessment and demographic data (IRB and LAUSD- approved)
Teacher-Level Requirements for ESCAPE Participation
Teachers selected for the Experimental Group: Online Course Treatment
- 1 year of participation
- Teachers participate in a 40-hour (4 unit) ESCAPE Online Course with a 20-hour (2 unit) Implementation Course for follow-up professional development--all offered 100% online
- Take a pre/post test of knowledge and pedagogy (1 hour per year)
- Administer online pre- & post-science assessments to classroom students
- Teach six 1-hour ESCAPE Science lessons with fidelity
- Complete lesson reflections on teacher practices & implementation log (30-45 minutes)
- Complete a feedback form each year (10-20 minutes)
- Prepare a student research roster each year (30-45 minutes)
- Receive an annual stipend of $1,500 OR 6 quarter units of course credit
- Receive a certificate for Teaching Science through the Arts after meeting all program requirements
Teachers Selected for Control Group:
- Take a pre/post test of knowledge and pedagogy for earth, life, and physical science (1 hour per content area)
- Administer online pre- & post-assessments to classroom students before and after normal classroom instruction for earth, life, and physical science
- Complete lesson reflections on teacher practices & implementation log (30-45 minutes per content area)
- Receive $150 stipend per content area for earth, life and physical science (up to $450 total)
- Future professional development opportunities for control teachers to participate in online courses
Student-level Requirements for ESCAPE Participation
Student Participation in Classrooms selected for Online Course Treatment:
- Participate in 6 ESCAPE lessons
- Take a NGSS Science pre/post online test
Student Participation in Classrooms selected for Control Group:
- Take a NGSS Science pre/post online test per content area (earth, life, and physical science
Are you interested in ESCAPE?
Apply now to be considered for the ESCAPE Online Course in Fall 2018!